Today’s recipe uses cumin to add some tasty flavor to the dish. If you have never cooked with cumin, you are missing out! Cumin packs a punch and some health benefits as well.
My dish today, has a Mexican flare and is very versatile. I used lean beef, but you can use any ground meat you like. You can also choose to take the meat out all together and replace it with beans for a vegetarian option. The other great thing about this dish, is you can add all sorts of fresh vegetables to change it up to your liking. Jalapenos or any other peppers, squash, onion and eggplant are just a few that you could think about adding to this dish.
It is worth noting, there are some medications that interact with cumin, so check that out before adding it to your seasoning cabinet.
- 1 pound ground meat
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 14.5 ounce Mexican style tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tortillas and toppings optional (listed after Directions)
- On the stove, cook ground meat.
- Add garlic to ground meat; cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and spices. Cook until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
I like to serve this dish with tortillas and top it with lettuce, tomato, avocado and shredded cheese. Hope you enjoy as much as we do! I would love to hear how you change up this dish to fit your families taste buds.